31 August 2012

El Chirripó, on top of Costa Rica

I had big expectations vis-à-vis Costa Rica. The country is a leader in the fields of sustainable development, protection of the environment and the preservation of biodiversity. The Costa Rican society has also chosen a development model as interesting as original in the region. In 1949, Costa Rica took the path of demilitarization. Since then, it has donated the equivalent of its defense budget on education. It is the only Central American country that has not had a civil war, revolution or dictatorship for over half a century. A cause and effect?...

Eventually I only spent a couple of days in the country. Why? First, because I had trouble (even failed) to make contact with local people. My indirect contacts and CouchSurfing didn't work as expected. Secondly, because Costa Rica is THE touristic country in the region, and I try instead to flee that kind of people and places that are dedicated to them. Finally, because the standard of living in Costa Rica is much higher than the country that I recently crossed.

Nevertheless, I managed to take refuge in the mountains for a few days of hiking. More specifically, I was in Chirripó National Park. From its 3,820 m (12,530 ft), it is the highest peak in Central America after Volcán Tajumulco (4,220 m, in Guatemala). I met a group of Costa Rican lads with whom I climbed the summit at dawn. And a small group of five French, including Antoine, also long-term traveler, who I will probably meet further south in a few months.

And now, on my way to Panama!



No comments:

Post a Comment