23 April 2013

Far South

Even when it seems to be the end, there is actually a bit more! Argentines are proud to call Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world. In itself, this is true if city means more than 5,000 inhabitants. But on the other side of the Beagle Channel, a string of Chilean islands and islets were appealing. On the programme: the southernmost village, tourist office and hiking trail in the world! And to top it all, when you take this adventurous path, it exceeds 55°. No, not talking about the temperature, but South latitude.

So I spent a week in Puerto Williams on Navarino Island. A dream weather for the season. No other tourists/travelers since I took the last boat of the season. An immersion into the world of sailors who choose this small protected harbor to recharge the batteries. And superb views of the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia off and on islands around the Cape Horn. Even if I couldn't see the Antarctica, only a thousand kilometers away though, I've never been that close.

And then I came back to Punta Arenas, on a ferry for two days in the canals that surround these small islands at the tip of the continent. And from there I fly to Santiago where I'll spend my last evening and night of traveling with Ines and Lukas, two Germans I met in Torres del Paine. Then I'll head back to Paris! ...


No comments:

Post a Comment