18 September 2012

Cartagena de Indias

A name that reminds us of the New World. A name that recalls those of the great navigators of the sixteenth century. But it is also a name closely linked to the slave trade and transit of gold spoiled from pre-Columbian civilisations. A name synonymous with rebellion: bastion of Spain in South America, it was the first Colombian city to declare its independence. More recently in the 1990's it was also the arrival port of the famous transatlantic yachting race, the Transat Jacques Vabre.

Cartagena is a walled city, declared World Heritage by UNESCO, which walls and fort are very well preserved. The old town has kept this highly colourful character of Spanish colonial towns. But today it is also a city of a million inhabitants, with its high modern buildings, tourist beaches and its suburbs that stretch for miles from the centre.

Cartagena was also a place for encounters. I met Anne, the German traveler I had already met several times in Mexico and Guatemala. I talked a lot with Diego and his wife Jamey, both from Cali, who offered me a good first summary of their country and the wonders to discover. And there was also Alex, Rocio, Jesus, Alfo and Cristian, the team of the hostel where I stayed a few days and with whom I had a great time.

Cartagena is the gateway to Colombia. Upon my arrival, I've felt at home. I could install without problems. Intense feeling I had not felt since Fairbanks Alaska. A sense of well-being, as if the safety “stress” prevailing in Central America dissipated. A bit like when you fall in love, it is sometimes difficult to describe that little extra that makes all the difference with others. But I feel that I will love this country, as I loved Cartagena.


No comments:

Post a Comment