8 November 2012

Race Info

Day 291. Kilometer 32,925 (Mile 20,460). Latitude 9° 31' South.

Pictures and article are about to be published. Just to make you wait a bit, here is a sum-up of my stay in Ecuador.

Distance on land in Ecuador then
on boat in the Galapagos: 2,285 km (1,420 mi)

I arrived on October 19 in Ecuador with Dušan, a Slovak met in Popayán (my last step in Colombia). The next day we spent time in the colorful market of Otavalo. See pictures in article “Market day in Otavalo”.

Then we moved to Quito and the famous equator line. It was obviously a symbolic landmark in this travel from North to South of the Americas. But crossing the Panama canal will remain an even stronger moment. Anyway, I am now, so to speak, on the other side of the planet for the first time of my life.

I visited Quito. For sure it will not remain as a highlight of my journey: huge city, not really attractive, despite the magnificent church San Francisco. Some pictures in “The equator in Quito”.

Then I quickly went through Baños, little village laying in a valley of the Cordillera. I left Dušan. Night bus until Guayaquil and early flight led me the next morning to the Galapagos. I swear! Pictures are coming soon. Just be patient, I don't have an easy access to the Internet and I have some work to do on my numerous pictures.

Back on mainland, I directly went to Cuenca from where I hiked in El Cajas National Park with Christina, Henning and Paul, three Germans. Passing from sea level to more than 4,000 m (13,000 ft) in a few hours is a real challenge! But I liked it and I will do it again with Henning and Paul in a few days in Northern Peru. This time at 5,000 m (16,500 ft).

Last step: Vilcabamba. I met again Kati. I knew her in Costa Rica, then we traveled in Panama, we also visited the region of San Agustin in Colombia and I briefly met her in the Galapagos (I was arriving while she was leaving). This time we crossed the Ecuador-Peru frontier, after an endless trip in the mountains, in the middle of no-where, with Solène and François, from Quebec.

That's it for now. But I'll be back very soon with pictures from the Galapagos!

No comments:

Post a Comment