25 January 2012

It's cold, it's white, it's Fairbanks!

On my way to Fairbanks, Alaska yesterday, the pilot announced 20° as we approached Anchorage. I wondered whether we were heading for a tropical version of Anchorage, AK or whether I missed the word "below" after the figure. My confusion was even bigger as I heard couple of people around me speaking about this incredibly warm winter. Global warming...

Last flight of my trip, landing in Fairbanks. We were announced -17°. But that time no need to tell me what I forgot: people here express themselves in Fahrenheit, pounds, inches, etc. After a quick conversion (substract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9), I get exactly what I was looking for: -27°C and snow all around. But people kept saying "make the most of it coz' it's the warmest day of the week. we're heading for -35 or -40 over the week-end".

Then Melissa came to pick me up at the airport. We waited until Tom came back to have dinner. And this is how I enjoyed the first evening of mines in Alaska with my Couchsurfing hosts. We had very instructive conversations about permafrost, hunt, lands etc. More details to come soon!

As a matter of information, there is a 10-hour time difference between Alaska and Europe (Paris time zone). For the moment, I don't seem to be affected by that. I am in a good shape, which is quite promising when knowing the programme of this week-end: cross-country skiing! Three days with a bunch of crazy people to let me discover what is real Alaskan life style. Full report of that on Monday or Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment