21 February 2012

The Inside Passage

Yes, I am lucky. Weather conditions (that lead to a 24-hour delay in my ferry departure) increased a lot the avalanche risk on the road between Anchorage and Whittier. So I was happy that Vitor and I could make it the next day. Knowing that it was the last ferry before April, you can understand that, even with 24-hour delay, I was glad to eventually embark!

Thursday, February 16, late afternoon. Weather improved. Only -2°C (30°F) and wind blowing at 100km/h. Much better! After Vitor left, I waited in the Coast-Guards building where I took this picture of the port. It made me think about my friends and cousins who sail, including my brother of course!


The ferry is like Alaska: large but empty. We were 40 when I embarked (only 8 for the last part of the trip) for some 60 crew members. One of them recommended a place where I could sleep. I didn't book any berth, it wasn't worth it. I slept very well on this bench and there are showers available.


Here is my home-made overview of the trip. We left Whittier, heading for Yakutat that we reach the day after. Then we stopped in Juneau on Saturday (Feb. 19), in Ketchikan on Sunday. Eventually I arrived in Prince Rupert early Monday morning. 1.700 km (a bit more 1,000 miles) at an average speed of 15 knots (30 km/h – 20 miles/h).

During the first part, we sailed the Gulf of Alaska. In fact, it is the Pacific ocean. But not very pacific! But at least the weather was better. Ocean all around, we could only see Cape St. Elias. No icebergs, no whales. Probably too early in the season.


When we woke up on the second day, we could see the entrance (or the exit though) of the Inside Passage. Usually you should be happy to see land from sea, but those lands were a bit scary from far. Large, massive, dark lands. But as we approached, they turned to be quite beautiful. Over-cast, very cloudy, but no wind. And sometimes, surprisingly enough, we could see the sun. The photographer enjoyed that a lot, and so did his Canon!


The third day, we continue our ride between the islands of the Inside Passage. No more snow, but rain. Rain, rain, rain. It never stops. Local communities are mostly composed by Tlingits, native people. They live from fishing in the Inside Passage or in the ocean.

On the boat, I met some nice people: two Aussies, two young guys that were going to race back to Alaska (I didn't understand everything), and Jim the sailor who has always amazing stories to tell. In Ketchikan, Maggie, a crew member, offered a ride to visit the city. So we toured a couple of hours to see some totems, the old city centre, the funicular, etc (see the last pictures of the selection). This town is exactly like Dawson City for those who saw White Fang.


Well you will find above a selection of what will be my last pictures from Alaska. Since I arrived in Prince Rupert, I am currently in Canada. You will find the port of Whittier, then Cape St. Elias, some bald eagles in Juneau, and Ketchikan totems and city centre. The rest are pictures of the Inside Passage.

A last comment. Photography is a passion. It is definitely my case. It can also be a job. It is possible to buy a photograph to frame it, to give it as a gift, to share it, to make it alive. And it would also be a nice way to contribute to my project (for further info, contact me – my details are on the page "About me").




No comments:

Post a Comment