15 February 2012

Race Info

When traveling, one should expect the unexpected.

I first agreed with Vitor, my host, to forget about hitch-hiking until Whittier. He offered to give me a ride there. Paying for gas and riding there would be much safer and the least expensive way to avoid missing my ferry.


To access Whittier, we had to go to the end of the bay, the Cook Inlet. Then we take a tunnel (the North America's longest railroad-highway tunnel!) and end up in a bay on the other side of the mountain. Whittier is located in Prince William Sound. The whole ride is about 100 km (60 miles).

The more we drove, the more terrible the weather conditions were. More and more wind, snow and rain, ice on road. Arrived in front of the tunnel, we were told that the weather conditions on the other side are even worse. The ferry hasn't even left the previous harbour. But not that much info.

What shall I do? No accommodation cheaper than $100 in Whittier. Not even sure that the ferry will leave tomorrow. OK. Let's go back to Anchorage. Once arrived, I checked my emails. The boat is not cancelled but delayed. Departure foreseen tomorrow evening. Anyway, we had a very fun ride and the road is amazing. It goes along the bay and the surrounding mountains fall in a sheer drop.







No comments:

Post a Comment