10 February 2012

Race Info

It's been almost a week since I arrived in Anchorage on Sunday. Article and picture by the end of the week or beginning of next one.

Anchorage is located on the southern coast of Alaska (see map below). How to go southward? There is no public transportation by road. Flying is still a non-option for me. There is no train anymore. Ski, roller-blades or bike are still excluded. And I don't have any car yet.

Why not hitch-hiking? It is a bit risky, considering weather and distances. It would lead me to Whitehorse (Yukon Territory, Canada). Indeed, it is the arrival city of the Yukon Quest. Good memory! But it is some 700 miles (1,200 km) away by road and I am not sure to be able to do it non-stop. And all those regions are so remote. Even arrived in Whitehorse, I am still hundred miles away from Prince George (British Columbia, Canada) or Edmonton (Alberta, Canada).

I forgot to mention that swimming is not an option neither. But I managed to find a ferry! It costs an arm and a leg, but that's fine: I have two of them. Compared to the 12-hour train ride last week-end, this 78-hour sail is quite something! I will leave on Wednesday evening and arrive on Sunday morning in Prince Rupert (British Columbia, Canada). From there, I will continue by road to Prince George and Edmonton.

I will embark in Whittier. I still have to go there, which is not obvious. But then, we will make three stops: Yakutat, Juneau (State capital) and Ketchikan. I will not have time to disembark at those stops but will definitely enjoy what is called the Inside Passage (through the Alexander Archipelago). It's all about fjords and straights. I'm going to love it! Prince Rupert is on the coast (you'd bet that!), on the Canadian side, just after the boarder with Alaska. Just to show again how large Alaska is.

I now leave Casey and Brad's. Thanks a lot for your warm welcome! And moving now to Vitor's for my last days in Anchorage.


No comments:

Post a Comment