24 February 2012

Race Info

Arrived a month ago in Alaska, I spent two weeks in Fairbanks. Then, I reached Anchorage by train, where I stayed two weeks. From there, I traveled by ferry in the South-East of Alaska for four days.

On Monday, after four weeks in Alaska, and almost 2,500 km (1,550 miles), I disembarked in Prince Rupert. It is the Northernmost city on the Pacific coast of the British Columbia province of Canada.

On Tuesday, I spent most of my day trying to get out of the city. Everybody kept saying it was very easy to hitch-hike in Canada. BS! Even under heavy rain, no one even stopped to ask where I intended to go.

On Wednesday, I decided to take the train. Impossible! The day before, a train derailed (49 cars involved) which blocked the railroad. Always expect the unexpected! That's my motto now. I had to wait more days in Prince Rupert.

The positive side of it is that I really appreciated my stay at Sunflower's. We discusssed about genealogy, about her future trip to France, we cooked, we hiked with her friend Laura, … And I remained long enough in the city to appreciate two hours of sunshine yesterday and a rain-free morning (before the snow came back).

On Friday, the railroad seems to be clear to let my train go. I will arrive in the evening in Prince George, 750 km eastward (460 miles). I will stay at Darryl's. The next day, I will take the train to Jasper, located in the Rocky Mountains, just after the border with Alberta. Time difference: + 1 hour!

On Monday, after two days at Reece's, I will try to catch either a train or a bus to Edmonton. Arrival foreseen on 27th February in the evening. That would mean I will arrive 24 hours before what I originally foresaw. My planed itinerary was twice shorter that the one I actually took and was supposed to let me cross the Northern parts of Canada (incl. Yukon territory). But that means I eventually managed quite well transportation hazards.

But I have to remember not to count chickens before they're hatched. Edmonton is 1,500 km (900 miles) away from here!


No comments:

Post a Comment