17 March 2012

Departure to Bozeman with Roger

Yesterday, on Friday morning, I left Jeff's and went to Roger's, the neighbour with whom I spent couple of hours over the last days. The day before, he offered me a ride to the first truck stop on the Interstate, outside Great Falls, Montana. It should help me hitch-hike to Bozeman, Montana (180 miles away – 300 km). Roger was curious about what I was doing and how I was traveling.


Before leaving, he prepared a yummy breakfast. So kind! I had oatmeal (he knew I love that), grape fruit, toasts and homemade jam, coffee. He was fearing I would wait for a while and wanted to make sure I would not faint during the day.

We spoke about Yellowstone, France, my trip, Napoleon (I don't remember where this came from), the coal-fire power plant project that they stopped with his fellow activists, etc. And while we were listening to Leonard Cohen, I prepared my “Bozeman” sign and started to stretch my thumb.

We left a bit later than what I was used to. But after such a nice breakfast, it didn't matter. I was still confident to be picked up. When we arrived at the truck stop, Roger told me he would stay for a while to see how things were working. But ten minutes later, he couldn't stand it and he tried to actively look for someone who would go to Bozeman.

The day before, I explained him that I felt more comfortable to stand with my sign on the side of the road, whereas he was insisting on telling me that things can be different here in Montana: “you should go and directly ask the people if they go to Bozeman”. So he started to speak to anyone who would have a car registered in Bozeman area.

It didn't take that long. I saw him coming back with a large smile. That's how Mary-Ann kindly drove me the whole way down to Bozeman. Thanks Roger, that was so nice to meeting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment