15 March 2012

Great Falls

This Friday ends my first step in the US Lower 48. I now continue towards Bozeman, from where I hope to be able to explore a bit of Yellowstone National Park. For nature lovers, it is a monument. But unfortunately, due to wintery weather conditions up there, I might not be able to see that much of it.

Here in Great Falls, I had the chance to experience the Western Art Week. It is a gathering of hundreds artists from all over the American West. They exhibit in hotel rooms, emptied for this special occasion. It's pretty unique and it gives a great view over indigenous art as well as pioneers' (painting, sculpture, photography, wood work, leather, pottery, etc.).

I toured with Roger (Alice and Jeff's neighbour) with whom I had very interesting discussions over the last days. He is someone: US Air Force veteran, environmental activist (what a coincidence for me!), very cultivated and fascinating. And he even offered me a ride to help me in my hitch-hiking process to Bozeman!

To end this post, here are some pictures of the surroundings of Great Falls. You will notice how changing the weather can be here. This is due to wind blowing at an average of 60 mi/h when not even more. But that gives people the opportunity to use it as well to produce electricity, like in Lethbridge. And they also use the waterfalls of the Missouri river (after which the city was named) to produce electricity.


No comments:

Post a Comment